Thursday, March 21, 2019

Interview of Fr. Sandeep Philip Jagtap SJ by Fr. Robert Das SJ on “Walking with the Lord”



Can you tell us about your childhood, your parents, and your early schooling?
I was born on 7th August 1981 in my mother’s native village, Shedgaon. It comes under St. Mary’s Parish, Sangamner. I was baptized by late Fr. James Shelke SJ. Both, my father Mr. Philip Jagtap and my mother Mrs.Mandabai Philip, are very devout and pious Catholics. I belong to St. Francis Xavier Church, Rahata. I completed my primary schooling from my village. Then I pursued my high school studies from two prestigious High Schools in Shirdi.



After your matriculation, what did you do?
Having passed the matriculation in 1997, I equipped myself with two years Technical studies in Mechanics of Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning at Shirdi. Then I successfully completed my technical studies, I worked for a few years in various capacities in the Air-Conditioning line in Shirdi.

Can you share with us your call to the Jesuits? How did this happen?
In the year 2000-01, I was doing my apprenticeship from Government Milk Scheme, Ahmednagar. That year something beautiful happened to me. Besides my duty hours I had plenty of time at my disposal. Instead of just wasting my time, I started reading the Holy Bible more intensely than ever before. I was very much touched by the person of Jesus portrayed by the for Gospel writers. In my free time I started going to the nearby Don Bosco Church, Savedi. I used to spend most of my free time there, taking part in the Mass, the recitation of the Rosary and various spiritual activities. Gradually I felt that our Lord was whispering in my heart to follow Him more closely.
After having finished my apprenticeship, I returned home. I expressed my desire to become a priest to my Parish Priest Fr. Dominic Rosario. He invited me to come and stay with the Parish community for three months. During those months he assigned a job of writing a history of our Parish, St. Francis Xavier Church, Rahata. While I was going through the inspiring life stories of the Swiss and German Jesuit missionaries in the Ahmednagar Mission, my heart was filled with gratitude to them. It was on account of their sacrifice that I got to know Christ. Therefore, I decided that I will become a Jesuit priest only as a sign of gratitude to all those missionaries who worked in our land.

A call is precious to every priest, and you surely treasure these moments. Please continue and tell us of your other stages of formation as a Jesuit Scholastic…
I passed H.Sc. from DnyanamataVidyalaya, Sangamner. Prior to joining the Novitiate I did my first year B.A. course from Sangamner College. I did my Novitiate in St. Xavier Technical Centre, Desur, Belgaum from 2006-08. The following year I was at Berchman’s Training College, Vitthalwadi, Pune for my Juniorate. I completed my graduation from R.B.N.B. College, Shirampur. I acquired my Master’s Degree from the Pune University. For my Philosophical and Theological training I was sent to JnanaDeepaVidyapeeth, Pune and VidyaJyoti, Delhi respectively. In view of joining the faculty of Indian Philosophy in the common houses of the Assistancy I am presently pursuing higher studies in Philosophy.

Wonderful! You are a Priest today, Congratulations!! Who else inspired you?
There are many priests who have played a vital role in forming me as a priest today. In discerning my vocation to be a Jesuit, Reverend Frs. Dominic Rozario, Gilbert Dinis, Polly D’Silva, RajuSonawane and AllwynMisquitta, and late Fr. Joe Palliparambill SJ have helped me very much. After having joined the Society of Jesus, I was very much influenced by my Novice Master Fr. Lawry Trinidad and my Spiritual Fathers namely Frs. Joe Gaikwad and Cyril Desbruislais. They have guided me spiritually, and inspiration. I have benefited a lot from their constant spiritual accompaniment.

Which apostolate do you love working in as a Jesuit? Why?
I love working as a pastor. As a priest of the Society of Jesus, I firmly believe that our primary responsibility is to reach out to the people of God especially to the youth of today. In my academic quest at JDV Pastoral work is always my first priority.

Your hobbies? Your favourites past time?
I like to read a variety of materials based on various themes and I have special interest to write in Marathi. I also love listening to the old Hindi songs and genres. I regularly play table tennis as well. I am interested in contextual philosophies and Indian Religious Traditions.

Any ambitions and future aspirations?
To intellectually form, shape and mould the young minds and hearts to respond to the signs of time.

Wonderful gentleman! Your piece of advice to the youth who would like to join the Jesuits?
Let God’s love govern our lives. Fall in love, stay in love and it will decide everything. Listen to your inner voice and God will do the rest. Simple as that!

It was a pleasure interacting with you and listening to your vocation story. We wish you all the best in your ministry and your study at JDV.

Thanks. I love sharing too! God bless.

[Fr. Sandeep Jagtap SJ was ordained on 28th of October, 2017 in St. Francis Xavier Church, Rahata. He is presently doing his MPH (Masters in Philosophy) in JDV, Pune][Fr. Robert Das SJ is the Principal of Dnyanamata Convent School, Sangamner and Superior of Dnyanamata Jesuit Community, Sangamner]

Source: “Pune Jesuit Booklet”. Biannual Magazine, September 2018 issue, pages 5-6


No comments:

Post a Comment

Birth of Pune Jesuit Province from Poona Mission (1854-)

St. Ignatius of Loyola together with his other founding companions  Francis Xavier, Alfonso Salmeron, Diego Lainez, Nicolas Bobadilla, Pet...