Monday, February 14, 2022

Discerning God's Call (Sch. Vishal Wagmare SJ)

 To speak about my vocation story is not easy, because it means sharing deep feelings, more than mere words. It all h a p p e n e d i n D n y a n a m a t a Vidyalaya hostel, Sangamner. When I joined Dnyanamata as a student, I had n o t h o u g h t o f becoming a Jesuit. I merely wanted to be a successful young man in the world. Success no doubt is a relative term, isn't it? In Dnyanamata, we had daily Mass, Rosary and interesting narrations and expositions of the feasts of various Jesuit Saints and Martyrs. Occasionally, I got an opportunity to go with the Jesuits to celebrate Mass in the villages. My favourite saint is St Ignatius of Loyola. His life challenges me. On his feast day, the Fathers would give us inspiring and challenging messages. Initially, while reflecting on my life, I often ignored thoughts of religious life. I faced a dilemma about whether to choose a life in the world as any other student or to offer my life to God.

I once went to the market with the regent of the Hostel where he bought a garland. Just to taunt him, I asked if he was buying it for his marriage. He promptly replied, “I am already married to God. No more marriage for me in this world.” This thoughtstruck and kept haunting me. I felt quite empty thinking of the limited goal I had been pursuing. But when I thought of my life as a Jesuit and a Priest, ready to do anything for God without any attachment, I felt a sense of joy and fulfilment. That's where I realized my vocation and this gave me immense joy and a sense of purpose in my life. No turning back for me, and I earnestly ask the Lord to give me the grace to persevere in this precious calling to the Society of Jesus. 

 Sch. Vishal Waghmare SJ

(Sch. Vishal Waghmare is doing his first year graduation at St. Xavier College, Ahmedabad, Gujarat. He hails from Holy Spirit Church, Shevgaon, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra. He is responded to the call of Christ to serve Him alone through Pune Jesuit Province. May God bless him!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birth of Pune Jesuit Province from Poona Mission (1854-)

St. Ignatius of Loyola together with his other founding companions  Francis Xavier, Alfonso Salmeron, Diego Lainez, Nicolas Bobadilla, Pet...